Day 4
We had a bit of cold breakfast then they served a traditional English breakfast to our table. We ate with Jess and Jessica again. Jessica is a teacher so of course Mom and her have tons to talk about. We both had tea and are finding it to be better tasting than coffee over here. Go figure.
We had a lovely drive through Dungarvan, Youghal and Cork. Today we got a huge history lesson about politics and the English. I am not taking the time to write who was king and Queen when and who dies with no kids and how far down the line did they have to look. Etc Etc. It was interesting but I didn't catch it all, I couldn't write that fast. The country side was lovely and filled with 10 pound castles. These were castles the King gave his Protestant nobles 10 pounds to build a castle when they settled in Ireland on the land they now owned along with all their Protestant servants.
We made it Blarney, paid 10 pounds to get in and 10 pounds for the photo. It was a real hike but well worth it. The people that were visiting were super friendly. Everyone has been pretty much so far except the wait staff. I think it is because we don't tip since the meal is included. My thoughts maybe not for real but that is what I think. Anyway we walked and walked to get to the castle then up up up the stairs to the top and the line was short since we were one of the first tour groups there. Of course what comes up must come down and down down down the stairs we came. The stairs down somehow were larger than the ones going up.
We took many many photos of the castle and going up the stairs and what room was where. Then we hiked back to Woolen Mills to check out the sweaters. Score!!! We bought some and had them shipped home for 40 pounds for the shipping alone. There was a couple in front of me and they were chatting with the girl and I checked my watch to find I had been waiting in line forever. Mom came over and I mentioned to her we only had 10 minutes before the bus left and chatty finally figured out other people needed to go. They got done and I explained to the girl we only had 5 minutes to get to our bus. She really stepped on it and rushed thru everything very nice of her. If I had seen a different check out I would have used it, but that was the only one on that floor. I got some presents there. No Waterford-way too spendy!! Oh and the Waterford Crystal Company closed there doors. Everyone was laid off-really tough!!
We got back on the bus and headed for Killarney for a ton of shopping. Now we were supposed to have lunch at the Woolen mills but we didn't have time for it. I had a snickers and Mom ate her Fiber One bar. We went for a ride in the Jaunty carts very fun! Mom had an on again off again affair with Mick the driver. Pretty funny. I was the only girl that did not get picked on. Funny. We finally found an open bank and headed in to cash out the US dollars for Euros. OUCH! No wonder there are so many European's coming to the US our dollar sucks! We found some cool presents and I still need something for Grace and the folks at work. It was pretty hot today.
We came back to the hotel and found free Internet YAY!!! We got back early to the hotel 5pm and I read some emails and started getting the stuff ready for the blog. I had Halibut and Chicken pate with lemon cheesecake. Mom had fried mushrooms, Halibut and lemon cheesecake. The halibut was very salty and we think smoked. I will have fish burps all night. YUCK!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment